6.14.2012

Are you afraid to paint?

In one of my past blog posts, I talked about how when I was in art school I didn't like to paint because it involved using color! I had permission from my instructor to do my work all in pencil. This was painting class! I think back to that time and wonder why. I was a graphic design major, after all.

The reason why is because I was afraid to go for it. Afraid to put that paint on the canvas and just paint! My color theory wasn't developed yet. That was another thing. I didn't understand color at all. It was not an easy concept for me to grasp at the time. Now, it's a different story. I researched color combinations by using my own paint and brush. I studied other painters that I liked and looked very closely at the brushstrokes and the colors that were applied together.

The experimenting, the disasters, the unknowing, the questions about what color looked good where and how to make a painting look really attractive came into focus for me after many, many hours of teaching myself.

It's all about just putting that paint onto the canvas and don't be afraid to make a mistake. Take a large brush and mix light blue permanent with a little yellow oxide and see what you get! It's a gorgeous shade of green. Try it!

Take your canvas...
Get your brush...
Dab a little of one color and mix it with another...
See what you get...
There are no rules in painting...
Only results...
THAT is what I learned!

No comments: